We don’t mean to waffle on but what could be more delightful than a homemade waffle? Not insulting its sister, the pancake, but waffles are easily the most versatile of treats. Sweet, savoury, stacked or stuffed? Thick, thin, fluffy or crunchy? Breakfast, lunch, dinner or anything in-between? You get it. Whatever your fancy, this particular recipe will quell any and all cravings – just bring your own waffle iron.
Seriously Golden, Waffle-icious Waffles | Makes 8
Ingredients 2 x cups all-purpose flour 3 x teaspoons baking powder ½ x teaspoon sea salt 2 x tablespoons sugar 1½ cups milk 2 x yolks from free-range eggs (save the whites) 1 x tablespoon pure vanilla extract ½ cup melted butter 4 x egg whites from free-range eggs
- Preheat your waffle iron to its recommended regular setting
- In a bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, sea salt and sugar
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg yolks and pure vanilla extract
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, gently stirring until nearly combined
- Add melted butter, continue mixing gently until nearly combined
- In a separate bowl or mixer, whisk or beat egg whites until stiff
- Slowly and gently fold egg whites into batter until nearly combined
- Cook batter in batches according to your waffle iron’s directions
To Serve Simple: drizzle melted butter and pure maple syrup over your waffle, top with a scoop of super-creamy, vanilla ice-cream.
Decadent: top and layer with any of the following ingredients: fresh or stewed fruits, icing sugar, chocolate sauce, nut butter, custard, cinnamon, freshly whipped cream, yoghurt, ice-cream, pure maple syrup, honey, jam, melted butter. Be colourful, fun and creative – after all, these waffles must be waffle-icious!
Homebase Tip Reheat your cooled-down waffles in a toaster oven until hot and crispy (or a toaster if they fit)